Did you know that upgrading to a programmable thermostat can increase energy-efficiency and reduce home energy costs? Even if your old thermostat is still working properly, a thermostat upgrade offers many benefits for your home.
All thermostats have a temperature-sensitive switch that turns your heating and cooling system on and off when the temperature reaches a preset number. Unlike older dial or digital thermostats where you must manually adjust the temperature, programmable thermostats can automatically adjust temperatures throughout the day. You can program the thermostat to provide comfortable temperatures while you’re at home and adjust to lower, energy-saving temperatures while you’re asleep or away.
Programmable thermostats usually come with four programmable settings that allow you to program temperatures to fit your daily schedule.
- 7-day programming – lets you program each day of the week separately. This works well for people who have different schedules every day.
- 5-2 programming – lets you program a standard 5-day schedule during the week and a standard 2-day schedule for weekends.
- 5-1-1 programming – lets you program a standard 5-day schedule during the week and a different schedule for both Saturday and Sunday.
- 1-week programming – lets you program a basic schedule that stays the same for one week.
A thermostat upgrade is perfect for homes with zoned heating and cooling systems. A programmable thermostat allows you to heat or cool rooms you use the most and shut off or reduce air flow to rooms that aren’t used like guest bedrooms, bathrooms and second-story spaces.
Programmable thermostats can be remotely controlled from your smart phone, computer or tablet. You can easily adjust temperatures from your car, office or any remote location. Additional features include:
- touch screens with lighted displays
- voice programming
- vacation mode
- keyboard lock
- maintenance and malfunction alerts
A thermostat upgrade can save you as much as 30 percent in yearly energy costs for your Long Island home. For more information and assistance, please contact us at Cool Power LLC. We have been serving the HVAC needs of Long Island homeowners and businesses since 1975.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Hauppauge, New York and the Long Island area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about thermostats and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Danylo-Samiylenko/Shutterstock”