It’s silent, invisible, odorless, and deadly, and it could be a threat in any home. It can be produced by common household appliances, and you might not suspect you’ve inhaled it until you begin to feel the symptoms of exposure. Since you can’t use your senses to identify carbon monoxide, or CO, the safety of your home depends on carbon monoxide detectors.
Follow these steps to decrease the risk of exposure to CO:
- Have your heating system and any gas burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician regularly. It’s a good idea to place a CO detector near this equipment.
- Replace the batteries in your carbon monoxide detectors every spring and fall when you change your clocks.
- Never use a charcoal grill or camp stove inside your house, in your garage, or near a window.
- Always make sure your fireplace and stove are properly vented.
- Don’t use a gas oven to heat your home.
- Don’t leave your car running inside a garage, especially if it is connected to your home.
- If your detector sounds the alarm, vacate your home immediately and call 911. If you feel dizzy or light-headed, seek medical attention immediately.
If CO begins to leak into your home, a carbon monoxide detector will provide you with an early warning so that you can take action to get to safety. Detectors are designed to alert your home before most people would experience any symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Contact Cool Power with any questions you may have about indoor air quality, or to schedule routine maintenance for your gas-powered appliances. We have provided Long Island with expert service since 1975.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Hauppauge, New York and the Long Island area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about carbon monoxide detectors and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Roman Sotola/Shutterstock”