Your home’s HVAC equipment is critical for year-round comfort, so protecting it is smart. The two protection choices for comfort equipment are a home warranty or maintenance agreement with an HVAC contractor. If you consider what each type of coverage offers, you’ll see that opting for a yearly maintenance agreement is the wisest choice.
- Equipment tune-ups. Maintenance plans include semi-annual preventative care that covers cleaning and tuning up the equipment to ensure optimal efficiency and longer equipment life. A home warranty won’t include these crucial services, but you’ll still need to keep the equipment well-maintained. If you don’t and there’s a breakdown or failure, your warranty company may not pay for the repairs.
- Parts and labor discounts. HVAC maintenance plans typically give customers a break on the cost of parts and labor for repairs. Instead of a discount, a warranty company will charge a repair deductible, and that’s if the needed repair is one that they cover.
- Energy savings. The preventative maintenance included under a service plan can have a positive impact on your energy consumption and operating costs. You won’t enjoy any extra savings if you opt for a home warranty, because these consumption-cutting services aren’t covered.
- Faster service. HVAC contractors don’t leave service agreement customers waiting when they need help, and many even guarantee service within 24 hours. With a warranty, you might wait for days before someone arrives to assess the problem, and even longer before a repair is completed.
- Familiarity and trust. If you decide to sign up for a yearly maintenance plan with a familiar HVAC contractor, you know they’ll provide skilled, reliable service whenever you call. With a warranty company, you can’t pick and choose who repairs your equipment. They’ll send the next name on their list of contractors who may not make your comfort and satisfaction a priority since you’re not a long-term customer.
If you’re debating whether to opt for a warranty or maintenance agreement and need more information to help you decide, contact us today at Cool Power, LLC. We’ve proudly served the comfort needs of Long Island residents since 1975.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Hauppauge, New York and the Long Island area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about maintenance agreements and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Sofi photo/Shutterstock”