You have seen the big-ticket HVAC appliances and improvements that can help you save money in your Long Island home. If you can’t afford to make big changes, however, there are little things you can do to help your energy savings add up:
- Install a programmable thermostat. Programmable thermostats allow you to set daily and weekly schedules designed to save on energy when you’re not at home or asleep.
- Consider keeping your thermostat at 68 in winter and 78 in the summer, or however low or high is comfortable during the particular season.
- Consider using a humidifier during the winter. Adding moisture to the air can make your home feel more comfortable, letting you turn your thermostat down a few degrees.
- Consider rearranging your furniture so that it’s positioned against inner walls. Sitting or sleeping near outside doors and windows will make you feel warmer/cooler as air seeps in.
- Use foam spray to insulate your outlets.
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs with the Energy Star label. Changing all of your lights can add up the savings.
- Let sunshine in your home to help you warm the home naturally in winter or keep your blinds closed in summer during the hottest times.
- Turn off your computer and monitor when not in use.
- Consider using power strips for big electronics such as televisions and switch off the power strip when equipment is not in use.
- Take a look at the thermostat on your hot water heater and consider lowering it to 120 degrees F.
- Wrap your hot water heater with insulation to keep the warmth from seeping out.
- Ensure your house is properly sealed. Using caulk to seal air gaps can help keep the warm air inside during winter and outside during summer.
- Take fewer baths and more short showers.
- Wash only full loads of dishes and clothes.
- Check your HVAC air filter monthly and change when necessary. This simple action will reap big rewards in energy savings and equipment protection.
For more information on ways to find energy savings in your home, please contact us at Cool Power, LLC. We have been providing quality HVAC services to Long Island homeowners since 1975.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Hauppauge, New York and the Long Island area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about energy savings and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock